Happy Memorial Day weekend – Honor the Fallen
Memorial Day is a time to remember and “Honor the Fallen” – those who have sacrificed their lives while serving in the military. Memorial Day is also an opportunity for families to honor and remember all their ancestors who have passed away. Recognizing the contributions and sacrifices made by those who came before us helps to deepen our understanding of our roots and strengthen our connection to our history and culture.
Many cultures around the world have unique traditions for honoring and celebrating their ancestors. By incorporating these practices into our own Memorial Day celebrations, we can create a more inclusive and meaningful event. Here are a few ways to honor all of the fallen and our ancestors during Memorial Day:
- Visit the graves of your ancestors: Spend some time visiting the resting places of your family members who have passed away. Tidy up their gravesites, lay flowers, and share stories about their lives to keep their memory alive. Ask the old folks in your family to share stories.
- Create a family tree: Memorial Day can be a great time to work on creating a family tree or updating an existing one. This activity can help you learn about your family history and connect with relatives who may have information about your ancestors.
- Host a family gathering: Bring your family together to share memories, stories, and traditions that have been passed down through the generations. This can be an opportunity to strengthen family bonds and honor those who came before you.
- Learn about your cultural heritage: Take time to learn more about your ancestors’ culture, traditions, and history. This can provide valuable context and help you understand their lives better.
- Light a candle: Light a candle or lantern in memory of your ancestors and the fallen heroes. This simple act can symbolize their guiding presence in your life.
- Participate in community events: Many communities organize events on Memorial Day to honor the fallen and the ancestors. Join in these events to pay your respects and meet others who share your passion for honoring the past.
We hold in high regard those who, in Lincoln’s words, “gave their last full measure of devotion” on the battlefield simply because it is right and important to “Honor the Fallen.” It is also important to cherish the memories of our ancestors as well as our fallen heroes, not just on Memorial Day, but every day. By incorporating these practices into our lives, we can ensure that their legacies live on and inspire future generations.
Inspired by Mark Mullarky of Great Lakes Tech Services, LLC. Written by Keith Klein of OnYourMark, LLC with an AI assist.
Keith Klein & the team at OnYourMark, LLC
Organizer, Wisconsin Business Owners
Thanks to our friends & clients, Paul Haut of WHaut.com and Mark Mullarky of GreatLakesTS.com who gave us the ideas for these holiday blog posts!
We welcome your comments, questions and suggestions. Please contact us with questions. Best to call, email or visit our site for the best response. We do invite you to engage with us on social media (just not for immediate needs). As always, if you like, you will find us on the following social media sites, among many others:
No comments yet.